Mormonism is a small but fairly rapidly growing religion with 16 million followers all over the world. Mormonism came into existence in the 1830s in the USA, and claims to be a restoration of early Christianity. The teachings of Christianity are based on the Bible. Is Mormonism true to the Bible as well?
Mormonism does not want to be true to the Bible
Mormonism has four holy books: the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and the Bible. Of these four, there is one that is not considered infallible, and that is the Bible. Mormonism teaches that we can only trust the Bible in as far as it has been translated correctly. Mormons also believe that the Bible has not been faithfully transmitted. Therefore the ‘Pearl of Great Price’ contains teachings that Mormons believe ‘were lost from the Bible’. So being true to the Bible is not important to Mormonism. They have three other holy books that they trust more than the Bible.
Mormonism has teachings that contradict the Bible
Mormons’ opinion about the Bible explains why they have many teachings that contradict the Bible. Here are a few examples:
- Mormonism teaches that there are many gods. The god of the Bible has a father who is a higher god, and we can become gods as well. This is wrong. The Bible says: “This is what the LORD says— Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God” (Isaiah 44:6).
- Mormonism teaches that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones. This is wrong. The Bible says: “God is spirit, and His worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).
- Mormonism teaches that everybody was a spirit in heaven before, and then was born on the earth to get a body. This is wrong. The Bible teaches it is the other way around. God created a body first, and then gave it a soul: “The LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being” (Genesis 2:7). The only man in the Bible to exist in heaven before being born on earth, is Jesus. Therefore He says “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world” (John 8:23).
- Mormonism teaches that we can reach the highest status in heaven through obeying Mormon teaching. This is wrong. The Bible teaches that we receive salvation by grace through faith, not because of anything that we’ve done: “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Mormonism teaches that marriage is eternal. This is wrong. The Bible teaches there is no marriage bond on the new earth: “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven” (Matthew 22:29-30).
- Mormonism teaches it is the one true church in the earth today, and that for well over 1500 years there was no true church. This is wrong. Jesus promised: “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18).
Mormonism is no Christianity
The teachings of Mormonism are contrary to the Bible. Mormonism was started by one man, Joseph Smith, who fooled others into believing he had received fresh revelations from God. He used it to ‘marry’ many wives. Mormonism is a con-job that grew into a religion. It claims to have ‘restored the gospel’, yet it contains no gospel at all. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 teaches us that this is the Gospel: “that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” Believing this Gospel leads to salvation. Believing Mormonism leads to eternal ruin. Don’t do it.
How does this Bible teaching speak to you? Please share your thoughts below!
Also read Is there salvation in other religions?100% Free Bible Course
We now offer a 100% free, Internet based Bible course. In 15 short lessons you will learn God's message for you in his Word.