Most people who claim to be Christians would happily agree to participate in a Bible quiz competition, Bible character role-plays, or even lesson reading during the church service. When it comes to sharing the gospel with a stranger or friend outside the church circle many of us may hesitate to do so. Jesus gives us the “Great commission” in Matthew 28 to spread the good news to the ends of the earth, that all people and nations will know Him.
The Bible openly points out that faith comes by hearing the Word of Christ (Romans 10:17). It is in believing in our Lord Jesus and sharing the Word by our testimony that we can draw others to Christ. When sharing the gospel becomes a part of our everyday life, we will be able to better witness to people in our neighborhood, workplace, among friends, or anywhere we go. Romans 10:15 says “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”
In this age where technology and social media have taken over previous methods, we have many ways of spreading the Word of God. Let’s look at the available options :
- Carry printed tracts and cards to evangelize with people when you travel or go out. Be willing to talk to people about God’s love, how the New Testament is written, and guide them for further help. Go ahead and gift friends home decor, stationery, coffee mugs, and wall stickers that contain encouraging Bible verses as reminders.
- Share pocket Bibles with people if you strike a conversation outside your home. If your community includes people who speak multiple languages, they will appreciate a Bible gifted in their language. Let people be drawn to listen to the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (through the Word) and take note of your commitment to lead a righteous life
- The home is a great place to share the faith, study the Word and pray together as a family. Our testimony starts right at home. When the family holds God as the head of the house, it shines forth greater love among the spouses and directs all the members of the family towards godliness. Deuteronomy 6: 4-9 known as the “Shema” is a commandment from Yahweh to the Israelites predominantly asking them to meditate, trust and revere God from dawn to dusk.
- You can invite others for a group Bible study or Praise-and-worship sessions. A group of close-knit Christians builds great prayer warriors and intercessors. They can also evangelize as a group in the neighborhood, or reach out to the poor and oppressed people in their area.
- It’s a joy to see teens in the Youth Ministry wear T-shirts with slogans of Bible verses or encouraging others to accept Jesus as Savior. Friendship bands like WWJD( What would Jesus do?) are also common in many places to remind one to stay in the likeness of Christ. Word-cloud printing on T-shirts is common today and these can be worn as a church group for outdoor events. These can be customized and printed online or from studios/stores in your locality.
- Initiate a conversation with others on public transport. Many people are willing to talk about the problems in the world and looking for solutions. Be ready to talk about why the world today is in a fallen state and how Jesus is the hope of a new and godly kingdom. Be ready to answer in any season and research and study the Scriptures to help unbelievers with their questions.
- Social media are a great platform to propagate inspirational stories of heroes of the Christian faith, expositions, and passages from the Bible. Share Christian movies (like Pilgrim’s progress, War room), these are readily available for believers to watch on the internet. Some people are great at making podcasts. One can try to record audio Christian messages that may inspire and bring others to Christ. Using one’s talents to share the good news comes from a great love and intimacy with the Lord. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide how and where the Gospel needs to be proclaimed.
- Join the church prison ministry or as Laity members to reach out to these areas. Having godly elders in the church helps in proclaiming the Word of God with boldness. Being charitable to people in need, standing with those who have lost a dear one, or visiting the sick in hospitals is another way that you can spread the love of Christ and comfort them as mentioned in 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
- Mentor few people and encourage them to spread the Gospel and share testimonies in study groups or over social media. When a friend calls up to talk about a problem, give a comforting attitude and pray with them assuring God’s sovereignty and guidance over that situation. Help them to make a moral decision and point to the Word of God for wisdom and understanding.
- Writing devotionals is a great way to spread the gospel. You can create devotions based on Bible characters, themes, personal testimonies of people, or thoughts that the Holy Spirit fills you as you meditate on the Word of God. Share these with friends through audio messages, video clips, blogs, websites, as a printed booklet, or even as a book!
Romans 1:16 marks the apostle Paul’s words, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”
We know Paul carried the Word of God from Jerusalem to Illyria and did not stop or shy at any point to proclaim the Gospel. In good times and through suffering he encouraged the believers and wrote letters to each church to hold fast to the faith. So it is with each believer who has found joy in Christ – the good news of our redemption and the love for Christ must compel us to proclaim the gospel to others. May the Holy Spirit work in our hearts to be bold witnesses for Him through our words and deeds.
How does this Bible teaching speak to you? Please share your thoughts below!
Also read: What is the great commission of believers?100% Free Bible Course
We now offer a 100% free, Internet based Bible course. In 15 short lessons you will learn God's message for you in his Word.