Usually people who don’t have much self-confidence are shy, maybe an introvert, possibly fearful of putting ourselves forward which could open up the possibilities of people laughing at us and we end up with feeling being ashamed or embarrassed. When this happens, it is doubly hard the next time around to step out in front of someone, or even a group or a crowd. If you just want to be a braver, bolder person then people would advise you to attend drama or acting classes so that you can learn to be bold in the presence of others. They may suggest going to self-assertion courses, or other things that would help your confidence.
Confidence in Christ
If you want to boost your confidence in Christ, in the Christian life and in living as a Christian, then whilst the things of the secular world may help, the deep problem is from within, and cannot be corrected by learning new skills.
If we confess our sins, you can be confident that it has been dealt with.
Child of God
The next thing you can be confident about is that you have become a child of God. John chapter 1 verse 12 says “to all who believe in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” If you are a child of God you can have confidence that you have the privilege that goes with being a child of God.
The next thing you can be confident about is that God is concerned for you and will never leave you. Deuteronomy 31 verse 8 says “the lord Himself goes before you and will be with you, He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
There are many things you can be confident of as a Christian
- God has a perfect plan for your life (Jeremiah 29:11)
- God will give us everything that we need in order to live (2 Peter 1:3, Matthew 6:25 – 28)
- He is preparing a place in heaven for us (John 14:1 – 6)
- “You can be confident of this that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to the completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Phillippians 1:6)
- God is working in our lives to change us to be more like Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29)
- When we become Christians all that we knew in the past will begin to change because Christ has started a new work in us (2 Corinthians 5:17)
The secret of gaining confidence for a Christian is not to try and change ourselves, but to let God change us, control us, and transform us, and gradually, you and those around you will begin to see the change. Make every effort to get to know God more, rather than making every effort on your own to boost your confidence.
How does this Bible teaching speak to you? Please share your thoughts below!
Also read What does the Bible say about hope?100% Free Bible Course
We now offer a 100% free, Internet based Bible course. In 15 short lessons you will learn God's message for you in his Word.